Submission 1: Formal letter

 Subject: Introduction of Alice Lim - SIE BS T5

 

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Alice Lim, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself as one of your students in effective communication. Having graduated from Temasek Polytechnic's Interior Architecture course, I have an extensive background in design.

Throughout my diploma course, I have always incorporated sustainable features into my design studio projects. It always fascinates me to see how engineers make use of natural resources to create environmentally friendly buildings. Hence, these factors have made me realized my interest in environmentally friendly structures.

Open-mindedness is a communication strength I cultivated during my polytechnic years. I have learned the value of acknowledging and comprehending the different perspectives that individuals have. Hence, I am always prepared to accept different opinions, which increases the probability of a successful discussion. If there is a disagreement, deliberation can be made as a team to reach a compromising solution that benefits all parties.

For my weakness, I am aware that I tend to rush through my presentation. This flaw led me to forget the information I prepared, resulting in slurring and hesitation. Upon reflection, I have concluded that frequent practice is required to hone my presentation skills. Therefore, practicing in front of a mirror can come in handy to check my articulation and be well prepared for the presentations.

One of my objectives through your module is to improve my English skills. Miscommunications occur as a result of a communication breakdown. And this outcome can be attributed to incorrect English usage. Another objective I would like to achieve is to improve my articulation during the presentation. Subsequently, it will allow me to appear more professional and convey my message clearly to the audience.

One of my notable characteristics is having a design background, which makes me different from other students in SIE. Rather than technical issues, design thinking focuses on solutions for their target audience's needs. And these solutions necessitate the intervention of engineers to develop a workable solution. Thus, unlike the other engineers, I can contribute to both prospects in my future career.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction letter. I am looking forward to the upcoming class and achieving my objectives through this module.
 


Best regards,
Alice Lim
Student from Effective Communication T5 

Updated on 30 September 2021
Commented on Irwan, Izzedine, and Faizal letter

Comments

  1. Thank you, Alice, for writing and posting. I'll give more detailed comments after your blogging buddies do a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alice,

    It is nice to know that you have a design background despite currently being in an engineering course. I agree that an engineer with such skillsets have a more holistic approach to problem solving.

    I think your content is clear, complete, and quite insightful as you reflected on your experiences.

    Language-wise, I find that the following phrase sounds a little odd: "... have raised my awareness of interest in...".

    Also, do note that in the second and third paragraph from the bottom, there is a period before a conjunction.

    I look forward to you sharing your insights on how to tackle engineering problems, both from a technical and design perspective, as we progress through the trimesters in SIT.

    Best regards,

    Haziq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Haziq,

      Thank you for your feedback. I will work on the issues you have outlined and look forward to working with you in the future as well!

      Regards,
      Alice Lim

      Delete
  3. Dear Alice,

    Thank you for this clearly focused, richly detailed and highly articulate letter. You have addressed the scope of the assignment beautifully and explained a lot about who you are. We readers learn, for example, that you are quite unique in terms of your design thinking and background experience. That will be a great boon to your future work but also for projects such as the one we will do in this module.

    I'm also happpy to learn that you find a clear connection between your learning in the area of engineering and the need to take on board multiple perspectives.

    At the same time, you also do a fine job in this letter of explaining the connection between your developing comm skills in areas such as presenting and the need to work out solutions for prospective audiences/clients and present those. It is clear that the more an engineer has the ability to communicate with others, the more that person can accomplish, on a private, personal and professional level.

    Finally, in this letter you express yourself with fine language fluency, which makes reading it a pleasure. There are, however, a couple minor issues:

    1. sentence structure
    -- Hence, resulting in slurring and hesitation. > (fragment)

    2. lack of clarity
    -- Having a design background is a notable trait as compared to the others. >
    One of my notable chacateristics is having a design background, which makes me different from othe students in SIE.

    I look forward to learning more from you as the term progresses.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      You have given me valuable feedback, and I appreciate your comments. I have taken note of my errors and will work on them. Lastly, I look forward to improving through your classes!
      Thank you!

      Regards,
      Alice Lim

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts